While technology is is often touted as the saviour of our grand future, without the possibility of artistic and creative expression with these new tools, much of this “innovation" would be virtually lifeless. The magic is in how the technology stimulates our curiosity and invites us to rethink possibilities and envision new worlds.
This program will focus on that magic— artistic asset production- for use in our future imaginaries and virtual spaces.
This art-driven program will focus on the creation of hand-made assets for virtual reality. In this class, we'll explore a variety of techniques for making digital assets for VR, through the lens of familiar studio art practices such as painting, drawing, photography, and sculpture.
Over the course of four weeks, we'll experiment with various ways traditional art practices can be integrated into digital asset production to achieve unexpected and experimental artifacts.
The goal of this program is to leverage pre-existing artistic skills and interests with accessible software tools for asset creation, in order to creatively produce unique assets for use in virtual worlds.
Early fee until 1. June*
*Includes materials, use of space and professional mentorship
After taking this course, you'll walk away with
- Experience in making 3d assets using painting, drawing, photography and collage
- Experience with photogrammetry
- A new understanding of how volumetric solutions can be a powerful new form of VR
- A hands-on knowledge of depthkit, and who created it
- Knowledge of other forms of volumetric filmmaking (8i, holograms)
- Experience filming with Kinect sensor footage and challenges and techniques for capturing volumetric material
- Different ways to output your volumetric film
- Some examples of volumetric work
- An amazing network and community of like-minded creative beings and potential future collaborators
Week 1: Painting and Drawing Introductions, concepts, narratives, play, and critical discourse. Technical overview. Experiments with 3D modelling and texturing.
Week 2: Photography and Collage Experiment with 360 degree images and photogrammetry, volumetrics and depth-kit.
Week 3: Carvings and Sculpture Experiment with 3D scanning and 3D modeling.
Week 4: Final Show Finishing up any ongoing experiments. Curate/compile final show.
Who is this program for?
This program is aimed at artists, creatives, and anyone who has some experience with painting, drawing, photography, collage or sculpture, (or wishes to!) and is interested in learning about making things with traditional tools for virtual reality.
For those excited by messiness, experimentation, conversation and collaboration, this is for you! Please note: This is not a code-based workshop, and there are no specific requirements as far as technical skills are concerned.